We Are Capable. We Are Ambitious. We Are Upward Bound.
Upward Bound is working to give low-income students and potential first generation students at Muncie Central High School the tools, resources, and guidance they need to succeed in high school and later college.
Students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for Upward Bound:
- Be a "potential first-generation college student" (that is, parents do not have a four year college degree) OR from a low-income family (as defined by the federal government) OR academically at risk. Priority is given to students who are both low-income AND first generation.
- Be at least 13 but no older than 19 years of age at time of admission to Upward Bound.
- Be in grades 9-11. Students should have completed the 8th grade but not yet entered the 12th grade at time of admission to Upward Bound.
- Be a citizen, national, or permanent resident of the United States.
- Be a Muncie Central High School student (or incoming student).
- Have a need for academic support.
- Have a need for personal development support.
Through the Upward Bound program, students receive the following benefits:
- Receive one-on-one mentoring and advising to help prepare you for success in high school and college.
- Engage in tutoring and study sessions.
- Receive stipends for participation and attendance (up to $40/month during the school year and $60/month during the summer).
- Explore career opportunities.
- Visit colleges and universities in Indiana.
- Get a taste of college during our summer academy, with on-campus college prep classes and activities.
- Spend time socializing and having fun with teens who have similar goals and ambitions.
- Take trips to museums, galleries, theaters, makerspaces, and more.
- Get help and guidance in applying for financial aid and scholarships.
- Get help with college applications.
For more information regarding Upward Bound, including the calendar and application, please go here. You can also contact Rebecca Parker.
Office: 765-289-2291, ext. 1117