Skip to main content

Student Records

Ivy Tech maintains an educational record for each student who is or has been enrolled at Ivy Tech. In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, the following student rights are covered by the act and afforded to all students at Ivy Tech:

  1. The right to inspect and review information contained in the student's educational records.
  2. The right to challenge the contents of the student's educational records.
  3. The right to a hearing if the outcome of the challenge is unsatisfactory.
  4. The right to submit an explanatory statement for inclusion in the educational record if the outcome of the hearing is unsatisfactory.
  5. The right to prevent disclosure, with certain exceptions, of personally identifiable information.
  6. The right to secure a copy of the institutional policy.
  7. The right to file complaints with the Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Ivy Tech to comply with the provisions of the act. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: 1 Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202-4605.

Each of these rights, with any limitations or exceptions, is explained in the Academic Support and Operations Manual, a copy of which may be obtained in the Office of Student Affairs or the library.

At the College's discretion directory information may be provided in accordance with the provisions of the act without the written consent of the student unless the student requests in writing that such information not be disclosed (see below).The items listed below are designated as directory information and may be released for any purpose at the discretion of Ivy Tech unless a request for non-disclosure is on file.

  1. Name, address, C-Number, e-mail address, telephone number, dates of attendance, enrollment status.
  2. Previous institution(s) attended, major field of study, awards, honors, degree conferred.
  3. Past and present participation in officially recognized activities, date and place of birth.

Students may request the withholding of directory information by notifying the Registrar's Office in writing within ten (10) calendar days from the first scheduled day of the term. The request will be in effect until rescinded by the student. The student should carefully consider the con¬sequences of any decision to withhold directory information. Regardless of the effect upon the student Ivy Tech assumes no liability for honoring a student's request that such information be withheld. Failure on the part of a student to request the withholding of directory information indicates the student's approval of disclosure.

In addition, student records are held in security by the College. Transcripts on file with the College from high schools and other institutions of higher education cannot be released by Ivy Tech. A student needing a transcript from high school or another college should request it directly from that institution. The Registrar's Office will assist students wishing to see and review their academic records and student files. Any questions concerning the student's rights and responsibilities under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act should be referred to the Office of the Registrar.


Disclosure Provision

Ivy Tech reserves the right, as allowed under the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, to disclose educational records or components thereof without written consent to parents of dependent students as defined according to the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, Section 152 (as amended).A certified copy of the parent's most recent federal income tax form establishing the student's dependency status shall be required before any educational records or components thereof will be released to the parent of any student.  Ivy Tech may also disclose educational records without consent to the following parties or under the following conditions, among others:

  1. School officials with a legitimate educational interest
  2. Other schools to which a student is transferring or where the student is already enrolled, as long as the disclosure is for purposes related to the student's enrollment or transfer
  3. Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes
  4. Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student
  5. Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school
  6. Accrediting organizations
  7. To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena
  8. Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies
  9. State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law


FERPA For Parents

When your child was in elementary and high school, FERPA gave you and your child rights to access and control your child's educational records. Now that your child is in college, these same laws transfer ownership of the records directly to the student.

According to FERPA, college students are considered responsible adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them. While parents understandably have an interest in a student's academic progress, they are not automatically granted access to a student's records without written consent of the student. Parents are encouraged to consult with the student if academic information is needed. Your child may give permission for parents or anyone else to obtain information about his/her records completing a Student Waiver form at the Office of the Registrar.

Ivy Tech Community College does not provide private information or restricted public information (even with consent) over the phone or by e-mail. Photo ID must be shown in order to obtain information about your child's record when there is a consent form on file.

How can I get a copy of my student's grades?

The only way for you to receive information about your child's grades, financial statement, or other student information is for him/her to provide it to you. Students can look information up online, print it off, and give or e-mail a copy to their parents. Student records are available on their MyIvy account.

If I'm paying for my child's education, why can't I get a copy of his records?

College policy does not include an exception permitting disclosures to parents of financially dependent students. Regardless of a student's age or financial status, the policy does not provide parents an automatic right of access to information. Rather, information may be shared with parents only with the student's consent, in a health or safety emergency, of if the parent can show proof that the child is carried as a dependent on the federal tax return as defined by Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954.

Will I be contacted if my student is sick or hurt? What if my child is in academic trouble, or facing disciplinary action?

In most cases, the College will not contact you or provide medical, academic, or disciplinary information without your child's permission. In the case of an extreme emergency, where the health of your son or daughter is in serious jeopardy, or if there is a concern that he/she poses a threat to him or herself or to someone else, the College may contact you. As a general guideline, if your child is able to communicate about the situation, it is up to him/her to decide whether and how to discuss the issues.

Isn't there a FERPA provision that colleges and universities can contact parents if a student violates alcohol or drug policies?

FERPA regulations allow, but do not require, higher education institutions to provide notice to parents when a student violates federal, state or local laws related to alcohol or drugs. This information may only be shared with consent, in a health or safety emergency or pursuant to another FERPA exception.

Where can I find out more about FERPA?

The U.S. Department of Education is responsible for overseeing FERPA. Information can be found on their website.