Home > Office of Financial Aid > File Your FAFSA

(Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

All students seeking financial aid must complete a FAFSA. It’s now available earlier than in prior years; you can file beginning October 1.

Be sure to complete the FAFSA before April 15 to be considered for most forms of state aid, including the Frank O'Bannon Higher Education Award. If students file after April 15 - they will still be eligible for federal and institutional aid.

Students need to complete a new FAFSA for each academic year. See below for a breakdown of which semesters are covered by which FAFSA and which tax return you need when applying. You will need to apply for your FAFSA for both years.

FAFSA Semesters Covered Tax Return Needed
2020-2021 Fall 2020 2018
  Spring 2021 2018
  Summer 2021 2018
2021-2022 Fall 2021 2019
  Spring 2022 2019
  Summer 2022 2019

For most tax filers, the easiest way to provide this information is by using the IRS data retrieval tool, which downloads the necessary tax information from the IRS directly into the FAFSA. It saves time and reduces the likelihood that you’ll be selected for verification. Read more about the IRS data retrieval tool.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the FAFSA?
    • The FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is a form that must be submitted annually in order to apply for financial aid. The easiest way to file the FAFSA is online at FAFSA.gov. After filing your FAFSA, your college will be able to tell you which scholarships and grants you could receive as well as how much money you can borrow in student loans.
  2. What is the deadline?
    • You can file the FAFSA beginning October 1. Be sure to get your FAFSA filed no later than April 15 to be considered for state grant programs. FAFSAs submitted after April 15 will not be considered for state grants, and corrections must be completed by May 15. FAFSAs filed after April 15 will still allow students to qualify for federal and institutional aid.
  3. Why do I need to file my taxes before filing a FAFSA?
    • Filing your taxes before you complete your FAFSA will allow you to use the IRS data retrieval tool - making completion quick and easy. The IRS data retrieval tool reduces errors and the likelihood of being selected for verification by directly importing the correct tax information onto the FAFSA.
  4. Who should file the FAFSA?
    • Anyone seeking aid for upcoming school semesters should file the FAFSA. Even if you're not sure if you will enroll, or you are currently in college - filing the FAFSA ensures you have the opportunity for aid if needed.
  5. What information do I need in order to file the FAFSA?
    • If you are under age 24, you will need your parents’ information as well as your own. The information you will need for the FAFSA includes:
      • Your Social Security Number (or alien registration number/permanent resident card, if you’re not a U. S. Citizen)
      • Your driver’s license number, if you have one
      • Your tax return information or records of earnings (and W-2 forms), and recent bank statements
      • Some students will need to include parent information on their FAFSA.  Click here to see the federal definition of dependency status for financial aid purposes.

Important Dates

Beginning October 1: You can file your 2020-21 FAFSA

April 15: FAFSA filing deadline for most state grants

FAFSA School Code

Did you know you can complete the FAFSA via the myStudentAid mobile app?

Click the video link below for more information!

The following videos will help you understand the basics of the FAFSA and answer frequently asked questions.

If you do not have a high school diploma (or High School Equivalency Diploma) and have not been home-schooled, please be aware of the following:

  • Students who were enrolled in a program of study prior to July 1, 2012 will be considered for financial aid.
  • Students who enroll in a program of study after July 1, 2012 will not be eligible for financial aid without a high school diploma or High School Equivalency Diploma.
  • If you DO have a high school diploma or High School Equivalency Diploma (or you will have one prior to enrolling at Ivy Tech), or you were home-schooled, but mistakenly answered "no" to those questions on your FAFSA, you can correct your FAFSA. Go to FAFSA.gov and select Make FAFSA Corrections, or talk with your local Financial Aid Office.

Additional documentation for special circumstances:

  • Homeless or Unaccompanied Youth or At Risk of Being Homeless: Have you, at any time on or after July 1, 2012, been identified (by your high school district homeless liaison or the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development) as an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or at risk of being homeless? If so, click here for more information and documentation instructions.
  • Ward of the Court, Orphan, or Emancipated Minor or Legal Guardianship: If you are a Ward of the Court, an Orphan, or an Emancipated Minor or in a Legal Guardianship please click here for more information and documentation instructions.
  • Drug Offenses: Some students who were convicted of a federal or state offense for selling or possessing illegal drugs (offenses that occurred while they were receiving federal student aid) may not be eligible to receive federal student aid for a specific period of time.
  • Special Circumstances: We understand that there may be situations when a student's true financial situation is not fully reflected by the questions on the FAFSA. These students may be considered on a case-by-case basis for a Special Circumstances Review. Click here for more information.
  • Dependency Status Review: We understand that there may be situations when a student does not meet the federal financial aid requirements to be considered independent on the FAFSA and yet may not be able to provide parent information. These students may be considered on a case-by-case basis for a Dependency Status Review. Click here for more information.