Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

I filed bankruptcy and I owe a balance to the College, should I notify the College?

  • If you did not include Ivy Tech Community College as a creditor on your bankruptcy petition, please call the last campus attended and notify them of your bankruptcy or send your bankruptcy paperwork to the following address:

                                         Ivy Tech Community College- General Counsel's office
                                         50 West Fall Creek Parkway North Drive
                                         Indianapolis, IN 46208

*If you have any questions in regards to how the bankruptcy affects your financial aid status please contact your local campus financial aid department.

I’m in an active bankruptcy and need my transcripts, what should I do?

  • If you are in an active bankruptcy, please contact Ivy Tech and give notice. Once this information has been verified, the hold on your account will be removed.

I filed bankruptcy, but Ivy Tech is saying I still owe the debt, how is this possible?

Not all student debt is discharged in bankruptcy and your particular debt may fall under the Exceptions to Discharge as stated below:


  • (a) A discharge under section 727, 1141, 1228 (a), 1228 (b), or 1328 (b) of this title does not discharge an individual debtor from any debt—
  • (8) Unless excepting such debt from discharge under this paragraph would impose an undue hardship on the debtor and the debtor’s dependents, for—
  • (A)
    • (i) an educational benefit overpayment or loan made, insured, or guaranteed by a governmental unit, or made under any program funded in whole or in part by a governmental unit or nonprofit institution; or
    • (ii) an obligation to repay funds received as an educational benefit, scholarship, or stipend; or
  • (B) any other educational loan that is a qualified education loan, as defined in section 221(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, incurred by a debtor who is an individual;

​As mentioned above, the Exceptions to Discharge is not solely for student loan debts, but for other educational debts as well.  A general order of discharge does not cover this type of debt.

In order for this to be discharged the U.S. Bankruptcy Court would have to make a special finding that not discharging the educational debt would impose an undue hardship on the debtor or the debtor’s dependents.

If you have further questions, you or your attorney should contact the General Counsel’s Office at 317-916-7977.