Skip to main content

This page is your source for everything you need to know to become an Ivy Tech student!

For more information, please contact:
International Student Services (ISS) -

Ivy Tech Community College is the state of Indiana’s largest, lowest cost public post-secondary institution and the United States’ largest accredited state-wide community college system.

Click here to access Ivy Tech's International Student Information Packet for the 2022-23 school year!

The process to become an international student requires submitting all the following documents:

  1. Application for International Student Admission
    • An application for admission must be completed and submitted by the student. Students intending to enter Ivy Tech Community College with an F-1 student visa must enroll in a degree or technical certificate program and have a stated major on the application. You may download a paper application for submission, or apply online at
    • International students who are in good standing and eligible to continue their education at their current institution may apply to Ivy Tech as a Guest Student by completing the Guest Application.
    • A copy of your current I-20 must be submitted along with your Guest Application. If you are requesting to take 12 credit hours or more, you must give permission to the international student advisor at the school you attend to discuss your SEVIS status with Ivy Tech.
  2. Proof of Financial Solvency
    • F-1 student must provide proof of financial support in order to be eligible for an I-20. Ivy Tech Community College requires the following documents:
    • Affidavit of support
    • Official bank statements or letters on official bank letterhead from financial institutions where the sponsor holds the account. (example of accepted bank statement/letter)
      • Must be in English and in U.S. dollars.
      • Must show funding for at least one year of estimated educational and living expenses and mandatory insurance. Click here for minimum funding requirements for the 2013-14 academic year. Click here for the 2014-15 academic year.
      • Statement or letter from financial institution must include contact information of institution.
    • Funding can come from multiple sources. Please note: F-1 students may not be sponsored by another F-1 student.
  3. Transcripts
    • Student must submit official proof of high school graduation or High School Equivalency Diploma completion. This can be done by one of the following:
      • Submission of transcript showing graduation from an accredited U.S. high school or High School Equivalency Diploma completion,
      • Submission of transcript showing graduation with an associate degree or higher from an regionally accredited college or university,
      • Official credential evaluation from a NACES ( approved organization showing the equivalence of a U.S. high school diploma or associate degree or higher. Official evaluation must be sent directly from the credential evaluator.
    • If transferring from another regionally accredited college or university, student must submit official college transcript. Student is not required to submit high school transcripts/evaluations, but must indicate high school graduation date on application. Please note: Some programs require submission of official high school transcripts/evaluations.
  4. English Language Proficiency
    • Students entering Ivy Tech Community College under an F-1 student visa must provide proof of satisfactory English language proficiency. Accepted tests and scores are:
    • TOEFL (iBT): 61 within the last 2 years (school code 1311)
    • IELTS: 6.5 within the last 2 years
    • MET: 52 in the 4-skill test within the last 2 years
    • ACT: 17 in English & 18 in Reading within the last 4 years
    • SAT: 25 in Reading & 27 in Writing within the last 4 years
    • Student who has successfully completed an Intensive English Language Program or Training at an accredited U.S. institution may meet our English language proficiency requirement. These occurrences will be evaluated on a case by case basis by the DSO.
    • Language proficiency may be waived if an applicant is from a country who lists English as the official language, as listed on the CIA website, or has completed secondary school in the U.S. with passing grades in non-ESL English courses, or is a college transfer who has completed standard freshman English, with a grade of C or higher, from a regionally accredited institution.
  5. Transfer Student Information (if applicable)
    • If student is currently attending another I-20 issuing U.S. institution, student must submit all international admission requirements, along with the additional following documents:
    • Copy of all I-20s, passport, visa, and I-94.
    • International Student Transfer Request Form.
  6. Deadlines
    • For applicants outside of the U.S.
      • Fall Semester: All documents must be submitted by May 1.
      • Spring Semester: All documents must be submitted by November 1.
      • Summer Term: All documents must be submitted by March 1.
    • For applicants transferring from a college or university within the U.S.
      • Fall Semester: All documents must be submitted by July 1st.
      • Spring Semester: All documents must be submitted by December 1st.
      • Summer Term: All documents must be submitted by May 1st.
    • These requirements MUST be completed and submitted to the appropriate International Student contact at the Ivy Tech Community College campus of your choice.
  7. Health Insurance
    • Welcome to My AHP Care! Your one stop to find information about the insurance your school provides" with the following link:
  8. Helpful Information for International Students
    • How to become an F-1 International Student:
    • There are two ways be become an F-1 international student.
      • Apply for a change of status from within the U.S.
      • Apply for an F-1 visa at the U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country.
    • Applying for a change of status from within the U.S. requires the following steps:
      • Apply for admission.
      • Complete the I-539 (Application for Change of Status) and submit it along with all required supporting documents and fees to USCIS. More information on applying for a change of status can be found by visiting USCIS.
      • Pay the SEVIS (I-901 Fee).
    • Applying for an F-1 non-immigrant visa from within your home country requires the following:
      • Apply for admission and submit all required supporting documentation.
      • If accepted, your international advisor will issue you an I-20 form, which you will use to apply for your F-1 Visa.
      • Pay the SEVIS (I-901 Fee).
      • Contact the U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country to schedule an interview. Because each consulate is different, it is important for students to understand what supporting documents will be required at the time of your visa interview. Visit the U.S. consulate or embassy website for country specific information.
    • Maintaining Status - F-1 International students must maintain their status by meeting some basic requirements.
      • Upon arrival in the United States, international students must check in with their international student advisor for SEVIS registration. Students should bring their I-20 document, visa, passport, I-94, and certificate of coverage and insurance waiver form (if applicable).
      • Enroll full time (12 credit hours) during the Fall and Spring term.
      • Only one online course per semester may be counted toward your full time credits.
      • Meet with your international advisor BEFORE dropping or withdrawing from a course. In certain circumstances, reduced course loads can be approved.
      • Keep all of your documents up to date including your I-20 and passport. Passports should be kept valid at least 6 months into the future. If you need to renew your passport, contact your embassy.
      • Obtain a travel signature from your international advisor before you leave the U.S.
      • Work only with authorization from your international advisor. F-1 students are permitted on- campus employment up to 20 hours per week. Full time employment on campus is permitted during summer, spring, and winter breaks. Working off campus must first be applied for and authorized by your international advisor.
      • Keep your address and contact information up to date with your international advisor. Changes in address must be reported within 10 days.
      • Adhere to grace periods. F-1 students are granted 30 days prior to their program start date indicated on their I-20 form to enter the U.S. After program completion, students are granted 60 days before being required to leave the U.S. If you withdraw from all classes with the permission of your international advisor, you are given 15 days to leave the U.S. If you withdraw from classes before receiving authorization from your international advisor, you do not have a grace period and must depart the U.S. immediately.
    • Status Violations - Students are responsible for maintaining status and remaining in good standing. Violation of status can lead to termination of your SEVIS record. Termination can have many severe consequences that affect your ability to remain in the U.S. and attend classes. Failure to enroll in a full time course load, unauthorized employment, and academic suspension, among other things, can result in termination.
    • Transferring - Students wishing to transfer from Ivy Tech to another institution should submit a transfer request to their international advisor at least 30 days prior to the anticipated transfer date. Typically these forms are available in the international student office at the institution you will be attending.
    • Employment - F-1 students are limited to part-time, on campus employment only. Employment opportunities are limited and you should not rely on employment as a source of income. Should you secure on campus employment, be sure to communicate with your international advisor. During breaks, including summer, spring and winter, international students may work up to 40 hours per week (on campus only). CPT or Curricular Practical Training is available to international students who have been offered a position off campus in a field related to their degree. Students who have successfully completed their degree, have continued to maintain status, and have completed one academic year in F-1 status may apply for CPT through their international advisor. The "employment" must be an established part of your curriculum (you must receive college credit for the work experience) in order to qualify.
    • Travel Outside the United States- Students wishing to travel outside of the U.S. during their studies must first obtain a travel signature on their I-20 form by their international advisor. Upon return, students should bring in a copy of their new I-94 card. Students are encouraged to review the expiration date on their visa prior to departure. If your visa is expired or will expire before your reentry into the U.S., you will be required to renew your visa before you will be allowed to reenter. Students will need to allow enough time for a visa renewal if necessary.
    • Completion of Academic Program- International students are issued an I-20 upon acceptance which lists a program start date and a program end date. These dates are determined by the beginning date of your first semester, and the estimated amount of time it typically takes a student to complete an Associate Degree. You must pay special attention to your program end date. Your F-1 status is valid until the program end date. In some cases you will need to apply for an extension in order to extend your status. International students are given a 60 day grace period upon the completion of their program during which they may remain in the U.S. Upon completion of your program you will need to consider what your next step will be. If you wish to pursue employment after graduation, you must first apply for OPT. Optional Practical Training is available to students who have completed their academic program, and have maintained their status at their academic institution for at least one academic year. OPT allows students to work in a job related to their academic field for up to 12 months. (Certain degrees in Science and Technology may be eligible for an additional 6 month extension). Students interested in applying for OPT must contact their international advisor and are encouraged to review the application process found on the USCIS website. Students completing their program may also consider:
      • Transferring to another institution
      • Pursuing a second degree at Ivy Tech
      • Returning to their home country
      • Applying for a change of status
    • International Student Orientation- International students are required to attend an in person orientation session. Students should contact their international advisor for specific information on orientation dates.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this web site is provided as a service to the international students, faculty, staff, employees and administrators of Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana, and does not constitute legal advice on any immigration, tax, or other matter.  While we try to provide useful information, we make no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this web site or any associated site.  As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel.  Neither Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana nor International Student Services is responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this website, or for the results obtained from the use of this information.