Skip to main content

How to Apply as an International Student

Your Place in the World Starts Here

Welcome! Bienvenido! Salut! Khush Amdeed! Yōkoso! Huānyíng!

We're excited that you're interested in applying to Ivy Tech Community College. Ivy Tech is the state of Indiana’s largest, lowest-cost public post-secondary institution and the United States’ largest accredited statewide community college system.

International (F-1 Visa) Students

You qualify as an international student if you are seeking admission or transfer to Ivy Tech as an F-1 student or changing your status to an F-1 student visa. Read more about F-1 student visas

As an international student, there are a few extra steps you need to take to apply to Ivy Tech. View these steps in the containers below or print this one-page checklist. These steps must be completed and submitted to the Ivy Tech Community College campus of your choice. 


  Applicants outside of the U.S Applicants transferring from college/university within the U.S.
Fall Term May 1 July 1
Spring Term November 1 December 1
Summer Term March 1 May 1

Note: Your application will not be processed until you have completed and submitted all required documents.


  • If You're Planning to Seek a Degree or Certificate:

    Your first step is to apply to Ivy Tech using our general application. Ivy Tech does not have an application fee. You can apply for free at any time. You can:

    Students intending to enter Ivy Tech Community College with an F-1 student visa must enroll in a degree or technical certificate program and have a stated major on the application, so be sure to indicate your intended area of study on the application

    View complete application instructions and learn what to expect when applying on our general application page.


  • Look Out for an Email From Ivy Tech

    Once you submit your application, you will receive an email at the email address provided on your application instructing you to reach out to International Student Services. You will then receive a copy of the international student checklist and instructions for submitting requirements documents to

  • Scan or Photocopy of Your Passport

    Students applying to Ivy Tech Community College under an F-1 student visa must provide a photocopy or electronic scan of their passport.

    Passport copies should be scanned and emailed to International Student Services to review at

  • Proof of Financial Solvency

    F-1 students must provide proof of financial support in order to be eligible for an I-20 (a Form I-20 proves that you are legally enrolled in a program of study in the United States).

    Estimated annual expenses for an associate degree for the 2023-24 academic year are $30,563 USD. See cost breakdown here. Ivy Tech Community College requires the following documents as proof of financial solvency:

    1. $30,563.14 USD —financial documents proving you have $30,563.14 USD or the equivalent in your country's currency. Or, an Affidavit of Support form from any individual providing you financial support (also called a sponsor) plus official bank statements or letter(s) on official bank letterhead from financial institutions where the sponsor holds the account (see an example of an accepted bank letter).
    2. $16,211 USD—financial documents proving you have $16,211 USD or the equivalent in your country's currency if you have a sponsor providing you with free room and board. Your sponsor must also complete an Affidavit for Free Room and Board
    3. If you have dependents, you will need to show an additional $5,000.00 USD for each dependent. You will need to submit a copy of your marriage certificate (if adding a spouse) or birth certificate (if adding a child). If this document is not in English, a certified translator must translate it. You will need to submit a dependent information form and a copy of each dependent’s passport.

    Note that funding can come from multiple sources. F-1 students may not be sponsored by another F-1 student.

    Submitting Documents

    When submitting documents, please make sure to include your first and last name, date of birth, and the email you used to apply.

    Proof of financial solvency documents should be scanned and emailed to International Student Services at

  • Submit Transcripts

    International students must submit official proof of high school graduation or High School Equivalency Diploma completion. This can be done by one of the following:

    • Submit transcript showing graduation from an accredited U.S. high school or High School Equivalency Diploma completion, or
    • Submit transcript showing graduation with an associate degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university, or
    • Transcripts from outside of the U.S. need to be evaluated through National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) showing the equivalence of a U.S. high school diploma or associate degree or higher. Official evaluation must be sent directly from the credential evaluator to


    If you are transferring from another regionally accredited college or university, you must submit an official college transcript. In general, you are not required to submit high school transcripts/evaluations but must indicate your high school graduation date on the application. Please note: Select programs do require the submission of official high school transcripts/evaluations.

    Submitting Documents

    Transcripts should be scanned and emailed to International Student Services at When submitting documents, please make sure to include your first and last name, date of birth, and the email you used to apply.

  • English Language Proficiency

    Students entering Ivy Tech Community College under an F-1 student visa must provide proof of satisfactory English language proficiency.

    Accepted Test & Scores

    Tests and scores accepted as proof are:

    • TOEFL (iBT): 61 within the last 2 years (school code 1311)
    • IELTS: 6.5 within the last 2 years
    • MET: 52 in the 4-skill test within the last 2 years
    • ACT: 17 in English & 18 in Reading within the last 4 years
    • SAT: 25 in Reading & 27 in Writing within the last 4 years


    Language proficiency may be waived if an applicant:

    • Is from a country that lists English as the official language, as listed on the CIA website
    • Has completed high school in the U.S. within the last 4 years with passing grades in non-ESL English courses
    • Has a U.S. high school grade point average of 2.6 out of 4.0 after four completed semesters
    • Has a certificate of completion from an SEVP-certified Language Training Program (this will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the Designated School Official (DSO))
    • Is a college transfer who has completed standard freshman English, with a grade of C or higher, from a regionally accredited U.S. college/university
    • Has an associate degree or higher from an accredited U.S. college/university

    Submitting Documents

    When submitting documents, please make sure to include your first and last name, date of birth, and the email you used to apply.

    Proof of English proficiency documents should be scanned and emailed to International Student Services at

  • For Transfer Students

    If you are currently attending another I-20 issuing U.S. institution, you must complete all the international admission requirements listed above, plus the following additional documents:

    1. Copy of all your current Form I-20
    2. Copy of your passport
    3. Copy of your F-1 Visa
    4. Copy of your Form I-94
    5. International Student Transfer Request Form – Students completing admission as transfer students should reach out to International Student Services via email at to initiate their Transfer Request Form. 

    Submitting Documents

    Students can submit all required documents needed for admission via email to When submitting documents, please make sure to include your first and last name, date of birth, and the email you used to apply. 

    Email Documents Now

    After Acceptance

    Once you are admitted as an international transfer student, the Ivy Tech International Student Services team will provide you with your acceptance letter, transfer verification form, and F-1 regulations form.


Estimated Annual Expenses for an Associate Degree 2022-23

Below are the estimated expenses for a single student, exclusive of holidays, vacations, or other travel expenses based on current economic standards. Personal lifestyle choices may increase costs considerably. Costs are based on a 9-month academic year.

Note: F-1 international students are not eligible to receive any state or federal financial aid.


Based on 12 or more credits per semester at a flat rate of $4,732.57 per semester

2 semesters $9,465.14

International Student Fee

$1,750 per semester

2 semesters $3,500.00

Books & Supplies

2 semesters $1,522.00

Living Expense

Housing, rent, food, transportation, and other living expenses

9 months $14,352.00
Health Insurance** Annual premium $1,724.00

Estimated Total Expenses



*Tuition and fee estimates are based on a course load of 12 or more credits for both the fall and spring semesters. Tuition expenditures may vary depending on the program of study, level of study, and the number of credit hours. Students registering for summer term will incur additional tuition and fee expenses. The College reserves the right to increase fees at any time without prior notification. F-1 students must carry a full course of study (12 credits/semester) to maintain their status. Fees are subject to change without notice.

**The College reserves the right to increase fees at any time without prior notification. Fees are subject to change without notice.

View/Print This Info as a PDF

F-1 Student Visas

An F-1 Visa (Academic Student) allows a person to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college. An F-I Visa "status" is a nonresident category officially granted by an immigration official.

There are two ways be become an F-1 international student: apply for a change of status from within the U.S. or apply for an F-1 visa at the U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country. 

To apply for a change of status from within the U.S.:

To apply for an F-1 non-immigrant visa from within your home country:

  • Apply to Ivy Tech and submit all required supporting documentation (see containers above).
  • If accepted to Ivy Tech, your international advisor will issue you an I-20 form, which you will use to apply for your F-1 Visa.
  • Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee. The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a web-based system maintained by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Learn more about this fee here).
  • Contact the U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country to schedule an interview. Because each consulate is different, it is important for you to understand what supporting documents will be required at the time of your visa interview. Visit the U.S. consulate or The U.S. Embassy website for country-specific information.

Maintaining Your F-1 Status

  • Upon arrival in the United States, international students must check in with their international student advisor for SEVIS registration. Students should bring their I-20 document, visa, passport, I-94, certificate of coverage, or insurance waiver form (if applicable).
  • Enroll full-time (12+ credit hours) during the Fall and Spring terms.
  • Only one online course per semester may be counted toward your full-time credits.
  • Meet with your international advisor BEFORE dropping or withdrawing from a course. In certain circumstances, reduced course loads can be approved.
  • Keep all of your documents up to date including your I-20 and passport. Passports should be kept valid at least 6 months into the future. If you need to renew your passport, contact your embassy.
  • Obtain a travel signature from your international advisor before you leave the U.S.
  • Work only with authorization from your international advisor. F-1 students are permitted on-campus employment up to 20 hours per week. Full-time employment on campus is permitted during summer, spring, and winter breaks. Working off campus must first be applied for and authorized by your international advisor.
  • Keep your address and contact information up to date with your international advisor. Changes in address must be reported within 10 days.
  • Adhere to grace periods. F-1 students are granted 30 days prior to their program start date indicated on their I-20 form to enter the U.S. After program completion, students are granted 60 days before being required to leave the U.S. If you withdraw from all classes with the permission of your international advisor, you are given 15 days to leave the U.S. If you withdraw from classes before receiving authorization from your international advisor, you do not have a grace period and must depart the U.S. immediately.

Status Violations

Students are responsible for maintaining their status and remaining in good standing. Violation of status can lead to the termination of your SEVIS record. Termination can have many severe consequences that affect your ability to remain in the U.S. and attend classes. Failure to enroll in a full-time course load, unauthorized employment, and academic suspension, among other things, can result in termination.

Transferring to Another Institution

Students wishing to transfer from Ivy Tech to another institution should submit a transfer request to their international advisor at least 30 days prior to the anticipated transfer date. Typically these forms are available from the international student office at the institution you will be attending.


F-1 students are limited to part-time, on-campus employment only. During breaks, including summer, spring, and winter, international students may work up to 40 hours per week (on campus only).

Employment opportunities are limited and you should not rely on employment as a source of income. Should you secure on-campus employment, be sure to communicate with your international advisor.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is available to international students who have been offered a position off campus in a field related to their degree. Students who have successfully completed their degree, have continued to maintain status, and have completed one academic year in F-1 status may apply for CPT through their international advisor. The "employment" must be an established part of your curriculum (you must receive college credit for the work experience) in order to qualify.

Travel Outside the United States

Students wishing to travel outside of the U.S. during their studies must first obtain a travel signature on their I-20 form from their international advisor. Upon return, students should bring in a copy of their new I-94 card.

Students are encouraged to review the expiration date on their visa prior to departure. If your visa is expired or will expire before your reentry into the U.S., you will be required to renew your visa before you will be allowed to reenter. You will need to allow enough time for a visa renewal if necessary.

Health Insurance

Health insurance coverage is not required for international students but is strongly recommended.

Ivy Tech offers international students the option to enroll in GeoBlue health insurance through "My AHP Care." You can also purchase voluntary vision, dental, or renters insurance if needed. International students may also purchase their own policy outside of this option.


Start and End Dates on Your I-20

International students are issued an I-20 upon acceptance to Ivy tech, which lists a program start date and a program end date. These dates are determined by the beginning date of your first semester, and the estimated amount of time it typically takes a student to complete an associate degree.

You must pay special attention to your program end date. Your F-1 status is valid until the program end date. In some cases, you will need to apply for an extension in order to extend your status. International students are given a 60-day grace period upon the completion of their program during which they may remain in the U.S.

After Graduation

Upon completion of your program, you will need to consider what your next step will be. If you wish to pursue employment after graduation, you must first apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Optional Practical Training is available to students who have completed their academic program, and have maintained their status at their academic institution for at least one academic year.

Optional Practical Training allows students to work in a job related to their academic field for up to 12 months. (Certain degrees in Science and Technology may be eligible for an additional 6-month extension.) Students interested in applying for Optional Practical Training must contact their international advisor and are encouraged to review the application process found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

Students completing their program may also consider:

  • Transferring to another institution
  • Pursuing a second degree at Ivy Tech
  • Returning to their home country
  • Applying for a change of status
  1. Our orientation can be found online, click on the link below (our program code is 124-11-84)
    Online Orientation
  2. When you arrive to the U.S. reach out to ISS to schedule an on-boarding session.

English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)

English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) courses are designed to improve the speaking, listening, reading, and writing ability of individuals who did not grow up with English as their first language.  

At Ivy Tech Community College, ESOL courses are designed to prepare students for their collegiate academic journey and help students improve their language skills.

Students who successfully complete courses are able to enroll in college classes at Ivy Tech. However, students do not have to be degree-seeking to enroll; the courses can also be used to improve overall English language communication. 

Learn More


Contact International Student Services

If you have questions or need help with any part of the application process, reach out to International Student Services via email at

24 hours a day, 7 days a week (se habla español)

Live Chat