Home > Veteran Services > Know Your Benefits > First Time Benefits

First Time Benefits Users

Students are responsible for tuition, campus fees, course fees, and all other costs of their education.

The first step to using VA Educational Benefits to cover those costs is to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA.

To apply for VA Educational Benefits, students must complete the appropriate application.

  • Chapter 33, 30, 1606, 1607 or VRAP - VA Form 22-1990
  • Chapter 35 -  VA Form 22-5490
  • Chapter 31 – Contact Local Vocational Rehab Office

Requests for Certificates of Eligibility may submitted electronically through VONAPP (the VA Online Application). In addition, paper applications may be downloaded, or you may have an application sent to you by calling (888) GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

Please be aware that you may only use one type of VA Educational Benefits at a time. For instance, if a veteran has eligibility under both the Ch. 30 and Ch. 1606 programs, the veteran would have to choose which program he or she wanted to use.

Veterans who have questions regarding which benefit should be used first should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551 and speak to an Education Case Manager.


Students Transferring Benefits from Another School

Service members, veterans, and dependents who are currently using VA Educational Benefits at another post-secondary institution must complete a VA Change of Program form in order to use those benefits at Ivy Tech Community College. Please complete a Change of Program and submit to your campus Veteran Services Office.

  • Chapter 33, 30, 1606, 1607 or VRAP - VA Form 22-1995
  • Chapter 35 - VA Form 22-5495
  • Chapter 31 – Contact Local Vocational Rehab Office