Home > Study Abroad > Travel Field Guide


The College is committed to providing international travel opportunities that foster the growth and development of students, faculty and staff.  It is important to recognize and properly evaluate the risks inherent with those opportunities, and importantly, mitigate those risks in order to achieve safe and enriching travel.  Every traveler bears the responsibility of managing risk in pursuing international opportunities.  The guide below, while not exhaustive, is intended to be informative and to help facilitate the management of international travel risk.

    International Travel is governed by policy referenced in ASOM 7.15 (International Travel for Faculty/Staff) and ASOM 4.30  (International Travel for Students).  All travelers must become familiar with and adhere to these policies.

    All travelers must be registered with the College's International Travel Registry. This notifies the College of your whereabouts, provides emergency contact information and enrolls you in the College's travel accident insurance program.

    Program leaders, in designing and guiding trips, should conduct a thorough analysis of trip and travel details and traveler preparedness by utilizing the International Travel – Checklist for Program Leaders.

    Every non-faculty or staff member traveling must complete the Education Abroad Program Agreement which is signed via the International Travel Registry.

    The Study Abroad Student Handbook, provided by the Center for Global Education, is designed to prepare students for study abroad with resources and helpful tips on what to expect and what to prepare for as a study abroad participant. Country specific handbooks are also included.

    As a traveler in a foreign land, the best way to ensure health and safety and to avoid emergencies is to be well-prepared, well-informed, and alert.  Self-awareness and personal responsibility are imperative components of a positive experience abroad.  Further, you are obligated to act in accordance with foreign law and are encouraged to become familiar with local laws before traveling.  The resources below address health and safety considerations of travel abroad.

    1. U.S. State Department
      The U.S. State Department website provides country specific information regarding safety, security, crime rates, travel alerts & warnings, judicial system, health care system, and emergency contact telephone numbers.  A specific Study Abroad page is also available.
      Travelers should register through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).  STEP is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  By enrolling, travelers receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in the destination country, and it helps the U.S. Embassy, family, and friends contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or other emergency.
    2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
      Travelers should be familiar with the infectious diseases to which they may be exposed.  With this knowledge, they may modify their behavior to avoid contracting infections, obtain necessary medication and vaccinations before travel and recognize symptoms of disease. The CDC site has health recommendations, immunization information, and specific health concerns related to your host or destination country.
    3. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
      The following link provides safety tips for travelers abroad:

    Every registered student, faculty or staff traveler will be insured under the College's International Travel Insurance Policy through ACE American Insurance Company.  The plan provides coverage for:
    - Accidents and Sickness
    - Medical Evacuation
    - Repatriation of Remains
    - Accidental Death & Dismemberment
    - Political & Natural Disaster Evacuation
    - Trip Cancellation/Interruption

    The cost to a student traveler for a trip less than 30 days is $25. More than 30 days, it will be determined by trip length. The cost to a guest traveler is $50 for a trip less than 30 days.

    Every insured traveler should carry a Global Assistance ID card in order to access the services provided. Once you have registered through the International Travel Registry, you will be provided a link view the policy. For questions about the plan benefits and services, contact Gallagher Student Health, or risk@ivytech.edu

    Coverage will start on the actual start of the trip. It does not matter whether the Trip starts at the Covered Person’s home, place of work, or other place. It will end on the first of the following dates to occur: 1. the date the Covered Person returns to his or her Home Country; 2. the scheduled Trip return date; or 3. the date the Covered Person makes a Personal Deviation (unless otherwise provided by the Policy).

    Registered travelers will have access to the ACE Travel Assistance Program for arranging services such as:
    1. Medical Assistance including referral to a doctor or medical specialist, medical monitoring when you are hospitalized, emergency medical evacuation to an adequate facility, medically necessary repatriation and return of mortal remains;
    2. Personal Assistance including pre-trip medical referral information and while you are on a trip: emergency medication, embassy and consular information, lost document assistance, emergency message transmission, emergency cash advance, emergency referral to a lawyer, translator or interpreter access, verifies medical benefits and assists with medical claims process;
    3. Travel Assistance including emergency travel arrangements, arrangements for the return of your traveling companion or dependents and vehicle return;
    4. Security Assistance including a crisis hotline and on-the-ground security assistance to help address safety concerns or to secure immediate assistance while traveling as well as access to a secure, web-based system for tracking global threats and health or location based risk intelligence.
      If You Are Arrested:
      • First, ask politely to notify your embassy.
      • If you are refused a phone call, be persistent but polite.
      • Find a U.S. Embassy or Consulate
      • Then, call ACE Travel Assistance.
      • Then, call your program leader or supervisor.
      • While in custody (for U.S. citizens), a consular officer can help you find legal representation and monitor the conditions of your detention. A consular office cannot provide bail money or arrange for free legal aid.
      • Do not admit to wrongdoing or sign anything.
      • Do not agree to help your detainer.
    5. Each traveler must complete an Emergency Information and Release Form.

    Proper documentation and identification is required for entry into foreign countries and re-entry into the U.S.  Requirements vary by country based on citizenship, purpose of visit and length of stay.  The U. S. State Department provides information regarding the travel documents required for the country in which you will be traveling.

    Make copies of your passport, airplane tickets, driver’s license, credit cards, confirmation of vaccines and insurance that you take with you. Keep one copy at home; carry a second copy with you but separate from the originals.