Skip to main content

The College believes in providing international travel study opportunities that foster the growth and development of students, faculty, and staff. International travel can enrich a student’s college experience in several ways: by acquainting the student with the historical and cultural significance of other countries; by creating meaningful linkages between a student’s chosen field of discipline and how it is learned and lived in other countries; and/or by developing skills in another language. The guide below, while not exhaustive, is intended to be informative and to help facilitate understanding of international travel study opportunities at Ivy Tech.


International Travel is governed by policy referenced in ASOM 4.30  (International Travel for Students) and ASOM 7.15 (International Travel for Faculty/Staff). Participants must become familiar with and adhere to the policies which are relevant to them.


  • The Program Leader Handbook details the process for leading a program.
  • All Program Leaders are required to complete an e-Learning, International Travel Study Program Leader 101, which can be found in the IvyLEAD Learning Library.


  • Steps to Participate:
    1. Learn about travel the opportunities and available programs you can apply to by attending an informational session of a prospective program and by reviewing information about your destination.
    2. Speak with your academic advisor to determine the ideal program fit.
    3. Work with your program leader to explore financial resources through scholarship availability, financial aid, or other College-designated funds.
    4. Complete an application (the program leader can direct you).
    5. Once accepted, perform all pre-departure program requirements.
  • The Center for Global Education provides resources to prepare students for study abroad, such as helpful tips on what to expect and what to prepare for as a study abroad participant. Country specific handbooks are also included.


All travelers must be registered with the College's International Travel Registry. This notifies the College of your whereabouts, provides emergency contact information and enrolls you in the College's travel accident insurance program.


As a traveler in a foreign land, the best way to ensure health and safety and to avoid emergencies is to be well-prepared, well-informed, and alert.  Self-awareness and personal responsibility are imperative components of a positive experience abroad.  Further, you are obligated to act in accordance with foreign law and are encouraged to become familiar with local laws before traveling.  The resources below address health and safety considerations of travel abroad.

  • U.S. State Department - The U.S. State Department website provides country specific information regarding safety, security, crime rates, travel alerts & warnings, judicial system, health care system, and emergency contact telephone numbers.  A specific Study Abroad page is also available. Travelers should register through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).  STEP is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  By enrolling, travelers receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in the destination country, and it helps the U.S. Embassy, family, and friends contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or other emergency.
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Travelers should be familiar with the infectious diseases to which they may be exposed.  With this knowledge, they may modify their behavior to avoid contracting infections, obtain necessary medication and vaccinations before travel and recognize symptoms of disease. The CDC site has health recommendations, immunization information, and specific health concerns related to your host or destination country
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) - The following link provides safety tips for travelers abroad


Every registered student, faculty or staff traveler will be insured under the College's International Travel Insurance Policy through ACE American Insurance Company.  The plan provides coverage for Accidents and Sickness, Medical Evacuation, Repatriation of Remains, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Political & Natural Disaster Evacuation, Trip Cancellation/Interruption*. For questions about the plan benefits and services, contact

The cost to a student traveler for a trip less than 30 days is $25. More than 30 days, it will be determined by trip length. The cost to a guest traveler is $50 for a trip less than 30 days. Every insured traveler should carry an International Travel Assistance Card to access the services provided. Once you have registered through the International Travel Registry, you will be provided a link view this information.  

Coverage will start on the actual start of the trip. It does not matter whether the Trip starts at the Covered Person’s home, place of work, or other place. It will end on the first of the following dates to occur: 1. the date the Covered Person returns to his or her Home Country; 2. the scheduled Trip return date; or 3. the date the Covered Person makes a Personal Deviation (unless otherwise provided by the Policy).

*The coverage extension for trip cancellation/interruption is limited to $1500, and generally, is applicable only in the event of the covered person's or family member's injury, illness, or death. A more comprehensive trip cancellation and interruption coverage may be available through Insure My Trip.


Registered travelers will have access to the AXA Travel Assistance Program for arranging services such as:

  • Medical Assistance including referral to a doctor or medical specialist, medical monitoring when you are hospitalized, emergency medical evacuation to an adequate facility, medically necessary repatriation and return of mortal remains;
  • Personal Assistance including pre-trip medical referral information and while you are on a trip: emergency medication, embassy and consular information, lost document assistance, emergency message transmission, emergency cash advance, emergency referral to a lawyer, translator or interpreter access, verifies medical benefits and assists with medical claims process;
  • Travel Assistance including emergency travel arrangements, arrangements for the return of your traveling companion or dependents and vehicle return;
  • Security Assistance including a crisis hotline and on-the-ground security assistance to help address safety concerns or to secure immediate assistance while traveling as well as access to a secure, web-based system for tracking global threats and health or location-based risk intelligence.
    If You Are Arrested:
    • First, ask politely to notify your embassy.
    • If you are refused a phone call, be persistent but polite.
    • Find a U.S. Embassy or Consulate
    • Then, call ACE Travel Assistance.
    • Then, call your program leader or supervisor.
    • While in custody (for U.S. citizens), a consular officer can help you find legal representation and monitor the conditions of your detention. A consular office cannot provide bail money or arrange for free legal aid.
    • Do not admit to wrongdoing or sign anything.
    • Do not agree to help your detainer.