- Tuition - $3,195
- Pre-Course Study Guide Paper Copy - $39 (electronic version is included in the tuition costs)
Dates and Times
There are multiple opportunities in 2023 to participate in the two-week course. Choose the series that best fits your schedule.
Series 1: August 7-18, 2023 | $3,195 per series
Series 2: November 6-17, 2023 | $3,195 per series
Students will earn 100+ contact hours and 10 CEUs in addition to:
- Explanation of ASME Codes and the Sections applicable to the inspection concept
- Background information on National Board and Inspection functions
- Discussions and understanding of various designs and types of boilers
- Explanation of various types of welds, dimensions, and NDE practices
- Discussion of flange, firebox, and various types of steel construction
- Study and review of typical boiler inspector examinations and solution discussions
- Practical review and application of mathematics required for board exam
- Simulation of actual National Board Examination conditions with evaluation in order to build student confidence in a test setting
Get Started Today
Contact Ivy Tech Terre Haute to learn more about this training.
Complete this short form to get started or contact Amy Akers at 812-298-2485.
Required Course Material
Participants are required to obtain and bring to the course the following Most up-to-date ASME Code Books which may be purchased from:
P.O. Box 2300
Fairfield, New Jersey 07007-2300
Phone: US & Canada: 800-843-2763
- Section I - Rules for Construction of Power Boilers
- Section IV - Rules for Construction of Heating Boilers
- Section VIII - Rules for Construction of Pressure Vessels Division I
- ASME/ANSI - B31.1 - Power Piping
- ASME CSD-1 - Controls and Safety Devices for Automatically Fired Boilers
- NB-263-RCI-1 - Rules for Commissioned Inspectors (Free download)
Participants are also required to obtain and bring to the course the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) books part 1 & 2 and the NB-410 Boiler/Feedwater Guidelines. NB-410 is a free download. A copy will also be provided for you in class. NBIC 1 & 2 codebooks may be purchased from:
The National Board of Boiler & Pressure Vessel Inspectors
1055 Crupper Avenue
Columbus, OH 43229
Supplemental Course Materials
PRE-COURSE STUDY GUIDE: AVAILABLE FROM IVY TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Part 1 | For many individuals wanting to become a commissioned Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspector and sit for the National Board Exam, the uncertainty of what to expect on the exam and what material might be covered in a preparatory course can make preparation for either somewhat difficult. Ivy Tech Community College has developed this guide to give a good overview of general concepts needed
to be successful in the preparatory class.
It is intended to emphasize the importance of being familiar with the ASME codes (I, IV, VIII [Div. I], ASME/ANSI B31.1, and ASME CDS-1) and the practical application of the industry. The actual course content is more in-depth and very intense. Also, it is very important that the participant has sufficient mathematical competencies. Understanding basic algebra and being able to work with the transformation of formulas and order of operations is important. We do not want to discourage your participation in our course, but we do want you to be fully aware of the aspects of the course so that all parties will benefit. If the materials in the Pre-Course Study Guide should present problems, we suggest you discuss it with your company and supervisor or call this office for further guidance as to attending the course.
Part 2 | This section of the guide focuses on math concepts, order of operation and transposition of formulas, which are the major math areas needed for passing the National Board Exam. An electronic version of the guide is included in your course tuition. Paper copies of the study guide may be purchased at the price listed below. Shipping and handling charges in the U.S. are included in the price. Copyrighted electronic printing rights are limited to one electronic printing.
Electronic Copy...............Included in course costs
BOILER OPERATOR’S GUIDE
Individuals new to the Boiler and Pressure Vessel industry may need help understanding the basics of the industry. This hard-bound book is a good introduction to many of the concepts individuals might need as they proceed toward becoming a credentialed inspector and taking the National Board Exam.
Available through an online bookstore.