About the President's Awards
The President’s Awards for Excellence in Instruction honor Ivy Tech Community College's most prestigious faculty and adjunct faculty for their accomplishments both in and out of the classroom.
This annual tradition, which began in 1983, recognizes faculty and adjunct faculty members from Ivy Tech locations throughout the state.
Along with being recognized with the President's Award, each full-time faculty member is eligible for the Glenn W. Sample Award Founder's Award for Excellence in Instruction, while each Adjunct Faculty member is elgible for the Gerald I. Lamkin Award. Sample and Lamkin are two former Ivy Tech presidents. Sample helped to found the College when it was still the Indiana Vocational Technical College, while Lamkin oversaw the growth of the College from a vocational school to the state's community college.
2021 President's Award Recipients
Now in its 41st year, the President’s Awards Program recognizes faculty and adjunct faculty members from Ivy Tech locations throughout the state. The recipients were selected based on nominations from students, their fellow faculty members, and Ivy Tech staff.
Dr. Sue Ellspermann, president of Ivy Tech, says the President's Awards reflect both the college's commitment to the college's faculty and the unique qualities that make Ivy Tech special.
“Our faculty members make all the difference in the lives of our students,” said Ivy Tech President Sue Ellspermann. “They challenge students to think critically, prepare students for successful careers in the communities in which they live, and encourage them to be fully engaged in their communities. We congratulate them for their work and honor them for being the inspiration in the lives of so many.” Each award winner went the extra mile to make a difference in the lives of Ivy Tech students.
Along with being recognized with the President's Award, each full-time faculty member is eligible for the Glenn W. Sample Award Founder's Award for Excellence in Instruction, while each Adjunct Faculty member is eligible for the Gerald I. Lamkin Award. Sample and Lamkin are two former Ivy Tech presidents. Sample helped to found the College when it was still the Indiana Vocational Technical College, while Lamkin oversaw the growth of the College from a vocational school to the state's community college.
The winner of this year’s awards were as follows:
Glenn W. Sample Award
James Hamilton - Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering Technology (Indianapolis)
Gerald I. Lamkin Award
Catherine Swinney - Adjunct Faculty/Clinical Instructor PN and ASN Nursing Program (Columbus)
A full list of the statewide President’s Award honorees is included below.
Faculty Honorees (by Ivy Tech location):
- Anderson: Duane Wolfe - Assistant Professor of Mathematics & Assistant Department Chair for the School of Arts, Sciences and Education
- Bloomington: Kyle M. Hetrick, Ph.D. - Associate Professor and Assistant Chair, Biology and Anatomy & Physiology
- Columbus: Michael S.C. Kelley - Assistant Program Chair/Assistant Professor Welding
- Fort Wayne: Matthew (Matt) Fisher - Associate Professor, Economics
- Indianapolis: James Hamilton - Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Kokomo: Jia Hardimon-Eddington - Surgical Technology Instructor
- Lafayette: Elizabeth Hayden - Program Chair/Faculty Respiratory Therapy
- Lake County: Teresa Hallmen - Program Chair Medical Assisting
- Lawrenceburg: Amanda Purcell - Associate Professor of Education/Program Chair Early Childhood Education Elementary Education & Secondary Education
- Madison: Ronald Novak - F4 Industrial Technology
- Marion: Ceola Friday - Program Chair Early Childhood Education
- Muncie: Octavia Thorns-Jackson - Department Chair, English, Communications, and World Languages
- Richmond: Kristen Soots - Program Chair General Studies/Assistant Professor of Mathematics
- Sellersburg: Kimberly Reynolds - Associate Professor of English/Ivy Achieves Champion
- South Bend – Elkhart: Rosario Hiestand - Full-Time Professor Early Childhood Education
- Terre Haute: Angela Hayes - Assistant Professor Human Services
- Valparaiso: Mitzi Mary Simerlein, D.C. - Assistant Professor Liberal and Physical Sciences
Adjunct Faculty Honorees (by Ivy Tech location):
- Anderson: Christine Quinn - Adjunct Faculty, Healthcare Specialist and CNA Director
- Bloomington: Mary Jane Fleener, MSN,RN - Adjunct Faculty, Nursing
- Columbus: Catherine Swinney - Adjunct Faculty/Clinical Instructor PN and ASN Nursing Program
- Evansville: August "John" Paulson - Adjunct Faculty, Human Services
- Fort Wayne: James (Jim) Graham - Adjunct Faculty, Automotive Technology
- Indianapolis: Dianna Davis - Faculty/Mentor and Course Developer, IvyOnline
- Kokomo: David Lingle - Automotive Instructor
- Lafayette: Brooke Criswell - Adjunct Lecturer
- Lake County: Lee Richard Purcell - Adjunct Faculty, Communication/PT Academic Advisor
- Lawrenceburg: C. Martin Justice - Adjunct Faculty, Human Services
- Madison: Rae Jean Morris - Adjunct Instructor School of Nursing
- Marion: Vicki Schumacher - Adjunct Faculty, Medical Assisting
- Muncie: Felix Rippy - Adjunct Professor of Business and Technology
- Richmond: Sunshine McCartt - Adjunct Faculty
- Sellersburg: Veronica Munn - Associate Adjunct Instructor, English
- South Bend – Elkhart: Fernando Ramirez III - Adjunct Faculty, Environmental Design
- Terre Haute: Brandon Hall - Adjunct Faculty/Lab Assistant Agriculture
- Valparaiso: Thomas Bancsi- Adjunct Faculty/Lead Occupational Therapist