What is IvyOnline?
IvyOnline is how certain online Ivy Tech Community College courses are being offered, beginning Fall 2019 semester. They are the same as other Ivy Tech online courses, but you won’t run into the issue of them filling up, or cancelling, and having to wait until a later semester to take the course. It’s a win-win because you get the course you need and Ivy Tech instructors get online classes full of eager students.
I thought online courses were offered in something called the Online Academic Unit?
We received feedback from students that the name Online Academic Unit was confusing. We listened, and going forward, we will use the name IvyOnline. When you login, you will have the same experience when signing up for your online courses.
Why should I take a course online?
IvyOnline courses have several benefits. Here are just a few:
- You get the same course credit as a traditional online course
- You’re guaranteed a spot - no more cancelling of your class or waiting until a later semester
- You get a diverse perspective from your classmates because they’ll be located at various Ivy Tech locations statewide
- You can still get one-on-one attention by reaching out to your instructor even if he/she isn’t at your closest location
- You still have access to all of Ivy Tech’s in-person, wrap-around services like tutoring, student life, and career development on your nearest Ivy Tech location
Which courses are part of IvyOnline for the Fall 2019 semester?
- BIOL 101 – Introductory Biology
- COMM 101 – Fundamentals of Public Speaking
- DBMS 110 – Database Design and Management
- HUMA 118 – Music Appreciation
- INFM 109 – Informatics Fundamentals
- ITSP 135 – Hardware/Software Support
- MATH 136 – College Algebra
- POLS 101 – Introduction to American Government
- PSYC 101 – Introduction to Psychology
- SDEV 120 – Computing Logic
- All online LIBR courses for the Library Technical Assistant program
- All online MPRO courses for the Manufacturing, Production, and Operations program
What if I want to take one of these courses face-to-face?
All of the courses listed above are available face-to-face, or hybrid (blend of face-to-face and online), but options and locations will vary. If you wish to take the course online, it will be an IvyOnline course.
How do I find the schedule of IvyOnline courses for the Fall 2019 semester?
Using the “Course Schedule Search” tool, select the subject and preferred campus location. It is very important to pay close attention to the COURSE DATES. Courses may be 16-weeks or 8-weeks, with different start date options. Make sure you note specifically when your course choice starts and ends.
It looks like this course allows 9,999 students, is that correct?
When you sign up for an IvyOnline course, you go into a pool of students who are then later assigned to specific sections once the start date of the class gets closer. Your course will be a normal student class size, typically around 30 students.
You don’t need to do anything extra once you register for the course. Section assignments will all happen behind-the-scenes, and you’ll have a dedicated instructor for your online class experience. Your course section and instructor will appear 48 hours prior to the course start date in IvyOnline.
Can I request a specific instructor?
No, not at this time. However, whenever possible, Ivy Tech will work diligently to assign you to a course offered by an instructor at the campus you selected when you register for the class. If you have concerns with the section or course you are assigned to, please speak with your Academic Advisor.
Who can help if I have more questions?
Your Academic Advisor is your best resource and here to help every step of the way. Reach out to them by phone, email or in-person if you need help finding, or registering in, IvyOnline courses. Or, call us at 888-IVY-LINE, seven days a week, 7 a.m. to 1 a.m., ET, or chat with us at ivytech.edu/chat.