Corporate College and Culinary Center former Stouffers Hotel

The former Stouffer's Hotel at 2820 N. Meridian is now the home of Ivy Tech Community College's  Corporate College and Culinary Center.   The hotel was built in 1965 and operated until the late 1980s. After being home to a Christian ministry for many years, Ivy Tech purchased the building in December, 2010, and has renovated it  for classrooms, training, meetings, and conferences.

Share your memories of the
former Stouffers Hotel

Name:

Email address:

Tell us your story!


Form created by Form Forge. Contact lbutt@ivytech.edu for assistance.

History

In the 1880’s Gilbert Van Camp developed a method to can fruits and vegetables for the family store, located in Indianapolis.  He made his fortune during the Civil War, as this canning method made it possible to send beans to the soldiers in the field.  In the 1880’s, Gilbert and his wife, Hester, purchased the property at 2820 North Meridian Street and built their mansion.  It remained a private resident until the early 20th Century, when it became the home of the International Typographical Union.

The Stouffer Restaurants purchased the property in the 1960’s.  The mansion was demolished and the Stouffer Hotel was built in 1965.  The focal point of the hotel was the penthouse restaurant, The Ramsgate, which featured woodwork, stained glass and a fireplace from the original mansion, as well as an amazing view of the downtown skyline.  The hotel quickly became one of the prominent locations for weddings, proms and other celebratory events in the city.  The hotel was also a favorite lodging site for local and national celebrities when they visited Indianapolis.  Richard Lugar held his inauguration celebration at the hotel when he was elected as mayor of the City of Indianapolis.  Dolly Parton and the Osmonds stayed at the hotel, and legend has it that Elvis stayed on the 11th floor of the hotel in 1977 when he was performing in Indianapolis – a performance that would turn out to be his last live performance.  The hotel remained popular until the mid-1980’s, as the popularity of downtown grew and became the focal point of the city.  The hotel closed in the late 1980’s

The building remained vacant until the early 1990’s, when it was purchased by Bill Gothard Ministries, who established the Indianapolis Training Center.  The Christian-based ministry provided vocational, as well as Christian-based education to at-risk youth and families. 

With a $23 million grant from the Lilly Endowment, Ivy Tech Community College acquired the property in 2010 and renovated the facility for classroom and conference space.  The Corporate College and Culinary Center opened in August, 2012, and houses the region’s Corporate College, Hospitality Administration Program, and a conference center.  With state-of-the art technology, the center provides Ivy Tech’s Corporate College the opportunity to provide training and development solutions for Indiana businesses through specialized courses and certifications.  The center also features a student operated fine-dining restaurant, Courses Restaurant, and bakery/café, Courses Bakery, as well as a conference center, with over 12,000 square feet of flexible meeting space available to the public.