Implemented November 2009
Revised March 28, 2012
Ivy Tech Community College-Northeast is committed to providing a healthy, comfortable and productive environment for the students, faculty and staff of this campus. In light of various findings through research on first-hand and second-hand smoke, Ivy Tech-Northeast is entirely tobacco and smoke-free.
The use or sale of any tobacco product is prohibited on college-owned, operated, or leased property or vehicles at any time. The policy applied to all Ivy Tech-Northeast facilities and grounds, regardless of location. Smoking, including the use of an e-cigarette, shall not be permitted in any enclosed space and is also prohibited outdoors on all college campus property, including parking lots. This policy applies to all students, faculty, staff and visitors.
Copies of this policy shall be distributed to all faculty and staff and shall be included with information given to all admitted/new students. Appropriate signage noting the policy shall be posted at all points of entry to the college campus and at all college building entrances.
- On-site smoking cessation programs shall be made available periodically each year to assist and encourage individuals who wish to quit smoking.
- There are nicotine replacement and smoking cessation programs available to benefits-eligible employees. See details on the Employee Services tab of Campus Connect under Wellness.
Questions and problems regarding the policy should be handled through existing departmental administrative channels and administrative procedures.
The success of this policy will depend on the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of smokers and nonsmokers. If you see someone violating the policy, please remind the individual. All students, faculty and staff share in the responsibility of adhering to and enforcing the policy. Violations of the policy will be treated in accordance with general campus disciplinary procedures.
Enforcement of the Policy
Notify a Security Desk Clerk of the violation.
- Coliseum Campus: 260-480-4183
or inside the main entrance to the building (door #3)
- Harshman Hall: 260-480-2095
or inside the west entrance to the building
- Officer dispatched.
- Tickets issued at a fine (ticket will be posted to individual’s college record).
- Officer files an incident report with the college.
- If necessary, additional disciplinary action can be taken through appropriate administrative channels.