The Ivy Tech Community College North Central Offices of Diversity and Student Life began this reading initiative through a collaboration with IU Northwest. Together our goal for this collaborative program is to build an intellectual and social relationship among students, staff, faculty and community members.
Through these shared experiences we will read, contemplate, debate and discuss thought-provoking topics that raise important social issues, especially those surrounding issues of diversity.
The program is guided by a planning committee comprised of representatives from Ivy Tech Community College North Central and IU Northwest.
- Create awareness of an ongoing dialogue about diversity issues.
- Facilitate a shared learning experience for students, faculty, staff and the community.
- Emphasize reading as a significant component of a well-rounded education and existence.
- Provide opportunities for faculty, staff, and students to explore and discuss relevant social justice issues.
- Increase the level of awareness among participants about social inequality.
- Encourage participants to use the knowledge they gain to work personally and professionally for positive social change.
- Create an opportunity for the community to share in an aesthetic and intellectually satisfying experience with Ivy Tech Community College students, faculty and staff through the discussion and analysis of quality literature.
- Promote positive interactions between residents and the Ivy Tech North Central communities.
Book selection criteria
- A work that addresses diversity issues
- A reading complexity appropriate for college students and community members
- Relevant themes and issues suitable to group discussion and analysis
- A topic of relevance and appeal to both young adults and the general community
- A subject that lends itself to community and college programming and special activities
About the Author
Learn more about Wes Moore.