The College has carefully reviewed our recent CCSSE (Community College Survey of Student Engagement) survey results. The results indicate that students don't feel engaged with the College at a high level. We know that students who are more engaged in their college experience are more likely to be satisfied, well connected with resources and more likely to complete their educational goal. The Ivy Tech Wabash Valley Region Mentoring Program... The Extra MILE is built on the philosophy that the personal connection between a mentor and mentee will support student self-advocacy leading a determined student to graduate.
In order to engage all students, while also focusing on welcoming new students to campus and programs, Extra MILE has embraced the shared vision that personal connections, which are fostered between mentors and mentees, can teach students to become more focused, supported and engaged in their collegiate success.
Outcomes of the program will include:
- Mentors will work with mentees to establish a network of support.
- Mentors will foster a relationship with their mentee that guides the student on the "journey towards self-reliance, successful graduation and transfer to a four-year institution or job placement."
- Mentors will challenge their mentees to confront and overcome personal, academic and professional challenges.
- Mentors will strive to help mentees establish a stronger sense of self-esteem and confidence as they continue their pursuit for enhanced knowledge and higher education.
Basic guidelines for mentors:
- Mentors are expected to connect to mentees at least one time per week. Initial meeting must be face-to-face. At the first meeting, the mentor will establish with the mentee a schedule for the semester. Subsequent contact may occur via text message, email, face-to-face or telephone.
- Mentors may be assigned more than one mentee. The same requirements are expected for each mentoring relationship.
- Training will be provided along with web based resources to assist the mentor in developing an appropriate relationship with the mentee.
- Mentors will be required to submit a monthly report on their activity. A simple process for this will be provided at the training.
For more information, contact: