Have you ever………………
- Spent hours studying and despite your hard work you still did poorly on the test?
- Tried to be organized and prepared, yet you can't seem to get class work submitted on time?
- Had problems in a class but didn't know what to do about it?
- Doubted as to if college is right for you?
- Had so much stress before taking a test that you panicked and forgot all that you've learned?
- Struggled to balance work, school, family, and other time commitments?
- Felt unsure about your career plans? Your goals? Your future?
- Had questions about college life but didn't know who to ask for guidance?
- Felt stress thinking about how to pay for college (Pell grants, loans, & scholarships)?
- Experienced uncertainty as to your next step after Ivy Tech?
What is TRIO SSS?
TRIO Student Support Services (or TRIO, for short) is a federally funded support program that provides a variety of opportunities for academic and personal development to students from low income families, first generation college students, and students with disabilities. TRIO's mission is to remove barriers that stand between you and your academic and career goals. TRIO provides a supportive learning community which fosters student success. TRIO offers training to develop effective study skills, tutoring to master course content, and academic, career, and transfer advising services. TRIO strives to assist students in achieving a college education and much more. In order to offer individualized attention, the program serves 160 students, and all services are free.
Benefits of TRIO!
- Free one-on-one tutoring for general education classes
- Academic, career, and transfer advising
- Assistance with the financial aid process
- Study skills training
- Mentoring and personal support
- Help identifying and applying for scholarships
- Trips designed to expose students to academic and campus life at 4-year institutions
- Assistance with applying for admission and financial aid at 4-year institutions
- Academic and personal development workshops
TRIO SSS Program Services
Academic Success Plan
Each participant has an individualized Academic Success Plan (ASP). This plan serves as a roadmap guiding you to graduation and/or a successful transfer. Your ASP connects you to services available through TRIO to help you in your journey through Ivy Tech.
As a TRIO participant, you receive free individual tutoring for math, English, and many other general education subjects. Tutors share their expertise in course content areas, test preparation, and organization skills.
Study Skills Training
We provide workshops as well as one-on-one training to help students develop effective study skills (e.g. how to take lecture notes, study for exams, manage your time, and tackle test anxiety.
Academic advising includes many components to help you be successful in college. Your assigned TRIO advisor can help with course selection, interpreting your Degree Audit Report (DARS), academic planning, and developing short-term and long-term goals. We work closely with academic, faculty, and transfer advisors to ensure that TRIO students understand the many academic programs available to them and the requirements that must be met.
Because there are many academic and career opportunities available, it is often difficult to decide which direction to go. Career exploration gives you the tools to identify your interests, abilities, and values so you can construct the best career path for you. TRIO advisors utilize a variety of career exploration assessments and tools to assist you in your decision making process.
It is our goal to facilitate the transfer process for all participants intending to continue their education at a 4-year institution. Trips to local universities are designed to expose students to academic, social, and campus life at 4-year institutions. TRIO advisors help students complete the admissions process and secure financial aid for enrollment at 4-year institutions.
Campus and Community Referrals
If you encounter a problem that is impacting your ability to attend class, the TRIO program can help. TRIO staff members are knowledgeable about available campus and community resources. TRIO advisors can help students locate affordable childcare, access counseling services, apply for community sponsored programs and much more.
The TRIO program maintains a database of scholarship information. We can help you identify scholarship opportunities, complete applications, and compose required essays. It is our goal to help students decrease the need for student loans.
TRIO SSS Eligibility
TRIO is a federally funded program that offers services to help students succeed in college. As a participant, you will gain access to services and opportunities not available to other students on campus. All services are FREE to eligible students.
TRIO serves 160 students each year. Participation is based on a first-come, first-served basis, so do not hesitate to apply .
Federal law regulates qualifications for the TRIO program.
In order to qualify for TRIO, you must meet 2 of the following eligibility criteria:
- First generation college student - You are considered a first generation college student if neither of your parents (or the single parent or guardian that raised you) earned a bachelor's level degree prior to your 18 th birthday. It does not matter if anyone else in your family, like a brother or a sister, has a 4-year degree, just your parents.
- Meet federal income guidelines - Parent or independent student's taxable income does not exceed the level established by the US Department of Education for family size. If you qualify to receive federal financial aid, chances are good that you meet the necessary income guidelines. The TRIO program has these figures available to students.
- Have a documented disability and qualify to receive accommodations through Ivy Tech's Office of Disability Support Services.
In addition, you must be…
- A US citizen or permanent resident,
- Admitted as a degree seeking student at Ivy Tech Community College , and have an academic need for the assistance the program provides. A TRIO advisor will discuss academic need as it relates to you.