Student Leadership Academy
What is Student Leadership Academy (SLA)?
The Ivy Tech Student Leadership Academy (SLA) is a leadership development program designed specifically for Ivy Tech students. SLA provides students with an opportunity to further develop their leadership development and professional development skills, while learning more about the history and traditions of the College.
Through their participation in SLA, students will be able to:
- · Define and clarify a set of personal values
- · Articulate a personal leadership philosophy
- · Recognize personality characteristics that impact group dynamics
- · Demonstrate encouragement and skills needed to develop a team
- · Learn techniques for motivating others to achieve a common goal
- · Foster a group environment that is open to change
- · Demonstrate an understanding of the value of civic engagement
- · Express an appreciation of diverse backgrounds and experience
- · Recognize appropriate etiquette in professional settings
What is the Program Structure?
Fifteen students from each region will be selected to participate in the 10-week (20 contact hours) co-curricular program through an application-based selection process. The Academy will occur during the fall semester, commencing the third week of classes (week of September 10) and concluding the week prior to the Thanksgiving holiday (November 12). Meeting dates and times vary by region. A state-wide graduation celebration will be held in Indianapolis at the end of November.
What are the Benefits of SLA?
Students that successfully complete SLA will receive:
- · SLA Medallion to be worn at commencement
- · Scholarship for a 3-credit hour course in Spring 2013
- · Invitation to attend the SLA Graduation Banquet
- · Powerful resume material that will help you stand out
How to Apply!
Applying for Student Leadership Academy is easy. Just follow these steps:
Step 1: Complete the online application at https://orgsync.com/62407/forms/78672
Step 2: Submit at least one letter of recommendation from a professor, coach, former supervisor, etc. to Amanda Bremmer, Assistant Director of Student Life at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IFC 125.
Application materials are due no later than Friday September 6th, 2013 at 5:00pm EDT.
*Selected participants will be notified starting Tuesday, September 10, 2012.
Fall 2013 Meeting Dates
The Student Leadership Academy meets on Mondays from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
Monday September 16
Monday September 23
Monday September 30
Monday October 7
Monday October 14
Monday October 21
Monday October 28
Monday November 4
Monday November 11
Monday November 18
Monday November 25
What are students saying about SLA?
“The Student Leadership Academy definitely tested my limits and boundaries but in ways that I can appreciate and always come back to and reflect on. If given the opportunity to participate in Student Leadership Academy, do it because it will be an experience that will never be forgotten!”
Samantha – Fall 2011 SLA Graduate
“The skills that the academy helped me to create within myself will last far beyond my current position. The Academy helped me to understand that there are many different ways to be a leader, not just in my job, but in the community and within my own family as well.”
Karen – Fall 2011 SLA Graduate
“This academy not only taught me ways to communicate through speech but also by physical action, and building a strong respect in teamwork exercises.”
Katie, Fall 2011 SLA Graduate