Robert L. Bowen, Founder and CEO of Bowen Engineering, together with his wife Terry, have a deep commitment to the African-American community of Marion County and the surrounding area. The Bowens believe that given an opportunity, a person can increase his or her earning potential, improve self-esteem, and set an example for future generations.
The Bowen Scholars program at Ivy Tech Community College is available approximately 50 hours per week and provides computer lab, academic advising, personal life coaching, links to community resources, monthly student meetings, cultural events, individualized tutoring, and opportunities for networking with peers, faculty and staff. Service activities are planned by Bowen Scholars. Several social activities are planned throughout the year and culminate with an annual reception in April. Financial support is contingent upon student program participation.
How to Apply
Please submit the following completed items to the Bowen Scholars office (NMC 511):
- Application form
- High school transcript or a copy of GED scores
- Recommendation letter
- Completed application for admission at Ivy Tech Community College
- Completed FAFSA for academic year of application
- April 1st for the Fall semester
- November 1st for the Spring semester
- African- Americans who attend or plan to attend Ivy Tech Community College (must be a U.S. citizen)
- Completion of at least 6 college-level credits at the time of application
- Residents of Marion County are given preference
Photos of Bowen Scholars
Seated from l to r: Erica Boyd, Alicia Shaw, Kelly Hunter, Winter Snow, Gabrielle Black, Kayla Winters, Joyce McReynolds. Back row: Byron Barrett, Chris Jackson, Miesha Jackson, Evarina Tunstill, James Higginson, Precious Walker, Derrick Jones, Carl Fulmore, Elisa Muir, Jamie Martin.
Seated from l to r: Casey Gurley and Anthony Shelton. Back row: Stacy Stater, Alisa Corthen, Eric Anderson, Kiara Hollins, Precious Bell, Greg Taylor, Rakisha Sansbury, Dahni Crutchfield, Nikita Blount.
Gabby Smith, Kelly Hunter and Alisha Hall.
Robin Louie and Kevin Brooks.